So, you are fresh out of college, landed yourself a decently paying job, have a penchant for gaming and are wondering what is missing in your life. Look no further, here I will try to list down why you should own a gaming console, particularly PS3 (Well, I am biased towards PS3, because I recently got my hands on one!)
A little background, the gaming console market is dominated by Microsoft Xbox360 and Sony PS3. You have diehard supporters of both the consoles who will vouch their life on the “fact” that their gaming console is superior. But, that’s upto you to decide. I chose PS3. Enough digression from the topic.
So back again to should you own a PS3. Is it worth it? Well, that’s a tricky question. I will try to list down a checklist and if you fulfill at least 3 of the criteria then it’s a go signal for you.
- This is a pre requisite. You have always loved gaming. It can be any genre, multiplayer or single player. It has always sent your adrenaline pumping giving deagle head shots, taking down castles with trebuchets or just crashing “your” Lamborghini around the city.
- You have no financial liability towards your family, after all 20k spent on basically a video game is a tad too much if you think.You have full control on your income and expenditures, there’s no one breathing down on your neck auditing each and every penny spent by you and asking for countless explanations.You are really fortunate if you have supportive parents. If your conversation with dad goes something like this, then there’s nothing better:
You: “dad, look I bought a ps3”
Dad: “what does it do?”
You: “ entertainment center, blah blah … basically used to play games.”
Dad: “how much did it cost?”
Me: ”Rs 20k”
Dad: “Cool son, awesome. When is it gonna be my turn on PS3?”
If you fear that’s not at all how your conversation is going to turn out, then adopt a “Don’t ask , don’t tell policy”. Simply don’t inform your parents that you have bought a PS3, presuming that you are living away from your parents and they won’t turn up unannounced. And even if they do find out, it’s not a crime to buy a PS3, for Christ’s sake.
- It is better if you are not in a relationship …. Girls can never understand how can a guy spend 20k bucks on something that doesn’t fall into their holy trinity : Shoes, Clothes and accessories (including jewellery) . They always judge anything they buy on how will it go with their dress, or how “beautiful” it will make them look.
And, if you are lucky enough to have a girlfriend who is supportive and occasionally joins you in dualshock controller’s button mashing. Man, just one word: *RESPECT*. Where the hell did you manage to get someone like that?
And, Are you sure she is a girl??
- Tough day at office. Felt like ripping off your stupid boss’ head or blowing him to pieces. Just keep your rage in check . When you get back from the office, The Greek Gods will face the full wrath of your fury in God of war. You are Kartos a spartan who takes on the might of the Greek Gods. You can disdainfully hack and slash the Greek Gods, and mind you it won’t be easy: after all they are Gods and you are just a puny spartan. Not for the faint hearted. Utter bliss!!!Or, if you are not the violent, gun- blazing- sword- slashing type, you can don the mask and be the caped crusader Batman in Arkham city, silently taking down enemies, using your wide arsenal of high tech gizmos, glide your way between high rises, fight arch nemesis joker and the likes and save Gotham . Because no matter how tough the enemy, or how sinister enemy’s schemes. You are BATMAN!!!Your team not performing in EPL … or whatever league you follow. Literally take the control in your hands, in FIFA 12. Score goals, transfer underperforming players, sign big names : the possibilities are endless. Be the master of your own soccer universe. Just a word of caution, I have heard that they have notched up the defense engine in FIFA 12 , so it’s not as easy to score goals as it was earlier. But then again, goals don’t come easy at the highest level, do they? Even Messi doesn’t score in every match!
- You own a kick ass HD TV and are bored of simply watching movies and sports on it.
- You work in a green field project or any desolate area for that matter, and there’s literally nothing to do after office hours. And even if you wanted to have some action, you simply can’t , because you are in a greenfield project and not in a **** metro.
- You don’t harbour any plans for CAT/GMAT /IAS and other similar stuff. Because balancing between PS3 and studying , while having a job is not possible. Let’s be fair, who in their right minds would study if they own a PS3.
This by no means is an exhaustive list.
PS: I am sorry if I sound a bit insensitive or biased towards a particular gender.